Inspired by a photo
After recently finding a photo of me as a baby wearing a little homemade sun hat, mum suggested that she’d like to design something similar for Oppi. I was somewhat amused by the ‘vintage’ look to the picture but decided that this was a brilliant idea, and a great project we could do together.
As always we started by creating a clear design brief and list of specifications:
Sun hats must reflect Oppi’s values by:
- being handmade from beautiful ethically sourced fabrics
- being unique in style
- being a joy to give as a gift
- including the Oppi tag
- including elements of a colourful inside peeking out
Sun hat must:
- be easy to put on and stay on
- be reversible
- shade the face and neck
- allow little heads to breathe
- have hidden, smooth seams
- be machine washable
- be suitable for 3-6 month age baby girls
We had great fun sending design ideas back and forth until we settled on the final shape, style and fabrics. We then had a little help from my niece, who was very clear which style was her favourite.
Now, with the first batch complete, we’re delighted to launch our handmade Oppi baby hats.
We hope your little girls enjoy wearing them as much as we enjoyed creating them!
We'll be restocking our shop with Oppi sun hats in spring 2017. Follow us on instagram to find out when they are back in.